The Initiative 'Young African Library Innovators' (IYALI)
A programme, the Initiative Young African Library Innovators (IYALI) is being managed by Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL), to connect young librarians with their peers elsewhere in Africa and in transitional and developing countries. It is envisioned that this will expand their outlook and also help them gain new ideas and create a network that will assist them support each other in their work.
EIFL works in collaboration with AfLIA, and the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) and with support from the Global Libraries Initiative of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Purpose of IYALI
The ultimate aim of IYALI is:
- To empower young and forward looking African public librarians with leadership potential to embrace, set and realize ambitious expectations for innovative library services that contributes to sustainable development,
- To give them confidence and vision to continue transformation of library services and ensure that libraries across Africa are constantly evolving to meet individual and community needs in a rapidly changing environment.
IYALI participants are selected on a competitive basis through an open call for applications. Two groups of librarians (15 to 20 each year starting 2017) will be able to attend the Young African library innovators pre-conference before proceeding to the IFLA World Library and Information Congress.
The first group of IYALI has been selected and will hold their pre-conference as well as tour libraries in Lithuania before travelling to Wroclaw, Poland to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in August 2017. They are:
Algeria - Djillali Chatane, Head of Information Services at Public Library of 'Le Center Cultural Islamique' of Oran.
Ghana - Felicia Kuubepuo, Library Assistant at Sunyani Public Library - Ghana Library Authority.
- Jemmimah Wangechi Maragwa, Librarian at Kangema Library, Kenya National Library Services.
- Joseck Olala, ICT Officer at Nakuru Public Library, Kenya National Library Service.
- Koi Kazungu, Senior Library Assistant at Kwale Community Library, Kenya National Library Service.
Malawi - Khumbo Ng'ong'ola, Readers' Services Librarian at Malawi National Library Service.
Namibia - Ezze Shipo, Senior Librarian at Okalongo Community Library.
Nigeria - Ranti Ishola, Assistant Library Officer at Oyo State Library Board.
South Africa -
- Mukhethwa Patience Tshisikule, Reference Librarian at Bellville Public Library.
- Sydney Nkosi, Librarian at Emjindini Public Library in Mbombela Municipality.
- Thuletu Brenda Mlumbi-Javu, Adult Librarian at Kuyasa Public Library.
- Taus Hamad Banzi, Kibaha Regional Librarian -Tanzania National Library Board.
- Shariff Mdanku, Librarian at Mwanza Regional library -Tanzania Library Service Board.
- Jackline Mshana, Head of Projects and Programmes at Tanzania Library Service Board.
- Betty Kabanyoro Wamara, Senior Assistant Librarian at Hoima Municipal Council Public Library.
- Bonny Olobo, Adult Library Officer at Kampala Public Library in Kampala, Uganda's capital city.
- Isa Maganda, Chief Librarian at Nambi Sseppuuya Community Resource Centre.
- Given Mwenda Besa, Library Manager at Ngwerere Lubuto Library.
- Allan Hagwelele Mudenda, Provincial Librarian at the Provincial Education Office.