ADVERTISEMENT FOR JOB VACANCY
Position: ACAFI PROJECT COORDINATOR (ACAFI -PC) for AFRICAN LIBRARY AND INFORMATION ASSOCIATIONS AND INSTITUTIONS (AfLIA)
Closing Date: 30th November 2016
Date of Assumption of Duty: 1st January 2017
Overview of AfLIA
The African Library and Information Associations and Institutions (AfLIA) is an independent international not-for-profit organization which pursues the interests of library and information associations, library and information services, librarians and information workers and the communities they serve in Africa. It was established in 2013 and registered in Ghana as an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) in October 2014. Its headquarters is in Accra, Ghana.
It is the goal of AfLIA to transform public libraries in Africa to provide library services that meet the needs of the communities they serve to impact all spheres of their lives.
To ensure that this goal is achieved, AfLIA seeks a Project Coordinator to be the liaison person for its partnership projects called “ACAFI project” beginning from January 2017 through December 2020. The project, supported by the Global Libraries of the BMGF involves 6 partners – International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, (IFLA); Public Libraries Association (PLA) of the American Library Association; Technology and Social Change (TASCHA) of the University of Washington in the USA; Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL); Worldreader and AfLIA. The projects, to be carried out in Africa, are for the benefit of African library personnel and the communities that they serve.
The ACAFI-PC who reports to the Executive Director of AfLIA, and also works closely with the Deputy Director, Resource Development, is primarily responsible for linking the ACAFI projects effectively and ensuring that all elements necessary for successful project completion are deployed on time and on budget.
The person is expected to understand the mission of AfLIA, share the vision of AfLIA and be mindful of reputational risks for AfLIA. He / She must have a good knowledge of the Public Library and Development fields in Africa and be comfortable and capable of working with partners of different nationalities among multiple time zones.
The person will intersect / coordinate with other efforts at a high level and strategically manage contacts for the projects. He / She will need to familiarise with all efforts for successful projects (including outside efforts), communicate at executive level, think strategically about the role of information and research in development and understand the field to bring it back to inform the projects. The person will convene/lead/support conversations, support knowledge sharing among projects, and intersect with the Management Committee of the ACAFI projects. He / she will also manage key deadlines, track required reports and review them, liaise with project officers, monitor progress of ACAFI projects, and work with external partners.
Qualifications and Skills
- At least a Master’s degree, preferably in library and information field, plus 5 years of project management experience at senior level
- Familiarity with public libraries and the development field in Africa
- Experience in the design, planning, coordination, delivery ,implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, and compliant with deadlines and policy and also flexible.
- Excellent skills in use of MS Office Suite including Excel, data analysis across multiple tools and databases, social media and cloud based applications (eg. Google docs) and generally tech savvy.
- A transparent, open, proactive communicator and a quick learner
- Excellent demonstrated ability in written and oral communication in English language
- Experience and proven ability to work as part of a team
- Good working relationship with stakeholders from diverse cultures and beliefs and professional backgrounds, and be politically astute
- Competent in “solid line” “dotted line “ relationships
- Excellent ability in the supervision of Project Management Plans, Communications Plans and their implementation and regular updates.
- Excellent understanding and use of Organizational Processes and development of performance reports, forecasts, evaluation and recommendation of corrective actions.
- Excellent coordination skills in relation to the work plans of partners
- Excellent ability in working independently and at the same time as a part of an integrated, diverse team; working in multiple, high varied and tight deadline settings, with different work and learning styles ;and managing multiple and competing demands by setting priorities and achieving goals.
- Knowledge of budgeting, financial analysis and synthesis will be a big advantage.
The successful applicant could reside anywhere in Africa but should have easy access to telephone and internet facilities and must be willing to undertake moderate local and international travel.
Not less than $36,000 per annum and negotiable depending on skills and experience.
Send a Resume including a motivation letter in English and 3 referee reports to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject line “ACAFI-PC” not later than 30th November 2016.
Please Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.